Re: Inconvinient colormap

Rodrigo,

Hmm... that is potentially a very helpful observation.

I cannot remember off-hand whether the color map is arbitrarily constructed, or whether I read the colors from the Windows color table. In either case, it is possible that I have a simple off-by-one error in how the colors are set.

Could you send in your /tmp/XWin.log file from when you run in 256 color mode? I need to know a few things that are contained in that log file.

Thanks,

Harold

rodmedina@cantv.net wrote:

Dear sirs,
I have used the new version of XFree86 since August. I am happy with it.
Some fine tunning is still needed. One problem is related to the 256-colors
colormap, (I am using windows95). This colormap is not convenient because
some important colors, such as green3 or red3, are not included. For
example
the color features of RXVT cannot be used. I suppose that the colormap is
inherited from Windows (?), so that it connot be modified. If such is the
case, I sugest to modify instead the /llib/X11/rgb.txt table. The color
red3=205-0-0 is not in the colormap, but 204-0-0 is there. So if one
modifies
the definition (red3=204-0-0) the problem is solved. This should be done
to few colors such as red3, green3, blue3,yellow3, magenta3, cyan3 and the
grey
scale. Many of the greys in the colormap have no name, but are very close
to some standard greys that are not included in the colormap. Example:
grey80=204-204-204 is not in the colormap, but there is a 203-203-203 grey
that has no standard name.
I hope this comments could be useful.

Rodrigo Medina rmedina@ivic.ve