Re: XFree leaking memory?

It was mentioned that the memory size increased when a new X window (such as an xterm) is opened, but that it does not decrease when that window is destroyed. This indicates one of a few things to me:

1) We are not freeing our window privates (directly or indirectly). This seems plausible, but I don't think our window privates are even 1 kilobyte.

2) Windows is not being notified that our allocated memory has been released, so Task Manager reports more memory allocated to our process than there actually is. Task Manager is notorious for this. I would not be surprised if there was no memory leak whatsoever. Please keep an eye on your memory allocated at the system level... if XWin.exe is reported as using 200 MB but you are only using 120 MB of system memory, then you know that the numbers are just not adding up correctly.

3) Some other portion of the XWin.exe code is not freeing its window privates correctly.