Adding a german keyboard to a default installation ...

Hello,

I recently downloaded the Cygwin default packages and additionally the
complete X11 package, because I have to access several Unix machines via
VPN + X-Server from a laptop.

I had no problems with the installation and with some try&error I was
successful getting the CDE of our AIX on my local screen typing: "xwin
-query ... -from ..."
(The -from parameter was a must, I suppose because of the VPN access.)

Unfortunately I'm not able to install a german keyboard layout even though
I tried to apply the tips in this forum. (I hope I did my inquiries with
enough care.)

That's what I've already tried (without success):

(1) Appending "xmodmap -display ... /etc/X11/xmodmap.de"
to xinitrc (with and without -display VPN-IP or 127.0.0.1 and different
path names)

(2) Creating a .xsession file in my home directory with
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysmodmap=/usr/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap
(the latter folder does not exit on my installation ...)

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $usermodmap
fi

(3) Trying all combinations of naming the modmap file, i.e.
.Xmodmap, xmodmap.de in the different locations

Calling the program xmodmap with a map file results in the error message
"unable to open display ''". This does not not change when I explicitly
enter the IP of my VPN access or 127.0.0.1 ...

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IN SIMPLE WORDS WHAT I HAVE TO DO TO ADD A GERMAN
KEYBOARD STARTING FROM A SIMPLE DEFAULT INSTALLATION FROM
http://cygwin.com/ (+ X11 PACKAGES)?

Many thanks!