Re: [Lesstif] "mwm" on Cygwin : heavy load

Christian,

See, the problem here is that you are not reading what I am telling you about the -emulatepseudo parameter.

Let me explain. Imagine that you would really like to have Cygwin/XFree86 running in 16 bit color, but that you would like to still be able to run applications that require a PseudoColor visual. Well, the -emulatepseudo option creates a fake PseudoColor visual in addition to the standard TrueColor visual when running in TrueColor modes. Therefore, -emulatepseudo does nothing beneficial when you are already running in 8 bit color mode, as there is already a PseudoColor visual when you run in 8 bit color mode (both in windowed and in fullscreen modes). Thus, LEAVE OFF THE FREAKING -emulatepseudo PARAMETER!!! There, thanks for reading it this time.

Now, as to the additional information you supplied, you did not specify if you left off the -emulatepseudo parameter when you ran with -depth 16 and -fullscreen. If you did not leave off the -emulatepseudo parameter, then I am not surprised that your problem did not go away, as PseudoColor emulation in TrueColor modes is a hack that is nowhere near completion, so it could very well be causing your problems.

On the other hand, Cygwin has gone through many revisions in the past few days (including new versions of the Cygwin DLL) and some of these revisions have been causing great problems for many users. I suggest that you run Cygwin's setup.exe again and let it download and install any updated packages.

Could someone from Lesstif give him some notes on possibly renaming any configuration files for Lesstif so that we can rule out any custom configuration as the cause of this problem?

Thanks,

Harold

Christian SARDIN wrote:

Thanks for answering.

But, no change if -depth 16 in TrueColor. (I do need pseudo color because I want to display an application which plays with colormap -XtConvertAndStore-)

With the task manager I changed priority from normal to a lower level, it doesnt change the 100% rated (By the way I run XP ) , but moves seems more fluid... I can't try my application to see its speed (needing pseudo color ! )
And it is difficult to guess what is responsible for slowlyness : PC, Cygwin, or Xfree - mwm / memory-swap ????

May be the information given by XP is wrong !
I expect a driver soon to try installing Linux (Red Hat 7.3 probably) and compare !

Christian