Newbie question -

Is there a way to invoke XDMCP AFTER the fact?
Once I have started a local window manager, I'd like to do an XDMCP query,
but running XWin again creates a second instance of X that is independent of
my current window session.
I tried running XDM ?!? And it replies only root wants to run xdm... But
there is no user called root on my system...
Thanks.