Re: have cygwin/XFree86 running ... but need help connecting remotely

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 1:59 am, Kenn Murrah wrote:
> Greetings ...
>
> Okay, I know I should be able to understand this from the documentation,
> but I don't ...
>
> I've installed CygwinXFree86 on my windows box ... I can double-click the
> shortcut on the desktop to run the program, and I can run startxwin.sh,
> startx, etc. ...
>
> but how do i connect to a remote box?  I want to connect to a linux box on
> my network, and I'm puzzled about how to make that happen.
>
> Can anyone provide this elementary help to me?

Depends on what type of connection you want?

Did you just want to ssh into the box, or did you want to set up XDMCP.

If you just want to ssh, then type
$ ssh username@linux.box

If you want to ssh and forward the X session over ssh, then
$ ssh -X username@linux.box

If you want XDMCP, then I would suggest reading the Linux XDMCP howto.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/

Also see the Cygwin-XFree86 FAQ etc. http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/

Cheers,

Rasjid.