Re: SSH & XFree86

John,

The Cygwin/XFree86 User's Guide explains a procedure that works for using SSH with X11 forwarding:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-ssh

I wrote up some notes on why SSH fails for various reasons and how to avoid those failures:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-10/msg00065.html

Your particular failure seems to be that the DISPLAY variable is not defined when you run the ``ssh'' command. I suspect that you are launching Cygwin/XFree86, but instead of running ssh from your xterm you are running ssh from another Cygwin bash shell that does not have DISPLAY defined. Try running ssh from the xterm in Cygwin/XFree86 and I bet it will work.

Harold

John Burkhart wrote:

To whomever may have the knowledge (aka HH?),

I am using XFree86 running on a win98 machine to access a remote Unix
system. My machine is behind a router, therefore when i run ssh with the
parameters : ssh -X -l username hostname
I get the follwing error:
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.

Subsequently the remote machine gives me a "can't open display" error
whenever I try to run anything like xmgr or even and xterm on the remote
machine. Do I need to use port forwarding? If so, how do I do this? The
router has a public IP address, but the IP on my computer is invisible to
the WAN as far as I can tell.

Thank you, john