Re: Can't connect with XDMCP - Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> Alexander [Skwar],
>
> Wait, let me get this straight. You DO have two network cards, one in
> the notebook and one in the docking station, right? Now, are you sure

Correct.

> that you are using the same network card on both network segments? That

Thinking about it - yes, I'm sure that I did NOT use the same NIC on
both segments. When it worked out of the box, I used the builtin NIC,
which was the only one available at this time.

When I've got to use -from, I'm using the docking stations NIC, which
is NIC #2.

> never using the docking station's network card? If that is the case,
> then I suspect that you problem is when you are plugged into the docking
> station and XWin.exe thinks that it should use the docking station's
> NIC, which does not have an IP address (thus the 0.0.0.0).

Almost. XWin.exe doesn't seem to "think" ;) To me, it looks like
XWin.exe always uses the "IP" of the first NIC, even if it doesn't have
an IP.

> The easiest solution would be to use the -from parameter.

Guess so.

> 1) Plug into the network at the docking station via the docking
> station's NIC. XWin.exe wants to use that NIC by default, so XWin.exe
> will work correctly without the -from parameter (probably).

Nope. Docking stations NIC is #2, and XWin seems to take #1 - always.

> 2) Disable the docking station's NIC in your Windows hardware
> configuration. This will hopefully case XWin.exe to not even see the
> docking station's NIC as an option.

Well, because of "great" design, I wouldn't be able to use any NIC at
all in that case. So that's not an option.

> 3) Change the binding order or NIC preference (if there even is such a
> thing) in your Windows hardware configuration. I am going out on a limb
> here... I do not remember if this can be done.

Will have a look. Thanks.

> 4) Stop using your docking station.

Uhmm - guess not ;)

> 5) See if Alexander Gottwald has any ideas to save the day :)

Thx!

However, what about the colleague of mine? He's unable to connect even
with -from. As I said, he was connected to the same network segment and hub, when I wrote the first message. He's using the same type of
notebook I'm using. And finally, he's trying to connect to the same
HP-UX workstation I'm trying to connect to (to be on the safe side, we
did not try to connect to it at the same time. I doubt that this can
cause problems - but we didn't want to try). And it's possible to traceroute to and from his laptop.

Thanks again,
Alexander