Re: Xlib: connection to "a217447d.abc.com:0.0" refused by server

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, J S wrote:

> I'm doing
>
> xwin&
> xhost +&
>
> Then, after setting my DISPLAY, running xclock.
> However if I run the window manager the xclock is displayed.

This is a known problem. After the the client disconnects from the server,
it is reset. Since xhost the only client, the xserver will right after xhost
finished reset again and also reset the xhost settings. You can avoid this
by always having another client connected (eg a local window manager, or
a xterm) and then do host +. Or you can switch off the accesscontrol at
startup by adding the "-ac" parameter to the XWin commandline.

Security note:
I do not recomend xhost + and the -ac parameter since they completely turn off
the access control. Anybody on the network is then able to connect to your
Xserver and may run programs which trace all keyboard input (think of secret
passwords).
The much better solution is starting a local ssh client with X-Forwarding
DISPLAY=127.0.0.1 ssh -X remotehost
and use the _encrypted_ X11 tunnel of ssh. ssh will do all things needed for
correct access control

bye
	ago