Problem with Windows ME and InfoExpress VSClient VPN Softrware

Machine is AMD Athlon 1.4 GHZ, Video = ATI RADEON ALL IN WONDER  7200,
Windows ME with all latest patches etc.

If I run the xserver without starting the VPN software, it runs just
fine with great performance, however, as soon as I log onto my employer
using the VPN software, it comes to a grinding halt. It is so slow that
it is basically unusable.

I really hope it is possible to make it work, because I think it is a
great product and I would really like to use it.

Thanks
Karel