Re: xwinclip usage?

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Marc,

All I can tell you right now is that it has always been a pain to get
xwinclip (or any local X client for that matter) to work with XWin.exe when
you are using -query for an XDMCP session.

I can also tell you that I doubt that the new version of XWin.exe is causing
the stand-alone xwinclip not to work. That just doesn't make sense. More
likely is that you accidentally were doing something differently that you
have now forgotten to do. To prove me wrong, download one of those test
versions that would have been in place in October. It looks like you should
try Test64 or Test68... but I bet your results will be the same.

I really need an XDMCP/X security expert to explain this to me COMPLETELY.
Sure, others have mentioned a few things that might be causing the problem,
which generally is of no benefit to me. I need someone to sit down for
three hours and actually test the various modes that xwinclip can be started
in and what you have to do in order to get xwinclip (or any local X client)
to connect to XWin.exe when using -query. I don't want suggestions, I don't
want speculation, I want someone to tell me what needs to be done to take
care of this once and for all. I admit, I cannot fix this problem. Someone
will have to fix it for me, and they will have to do a good job of it
otherwise it will not be of any benefit to me.

Until that someone steps forward, I am fresh out of ideas,

Harold

I am not an XDMCP/X security expert. I can not provide a complete fix. I can only tell you what I did to get it working (after a fashion). I offer the following as a means for others to get it working .

First, I added commands to my xdm configuration such that xhost is run duing XDM login. In my situation (Red Hat 8) that amounted to adding a file as follows:

create /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/xhosts and make it executable (as the other files in initrc.d).

---------------------------
xhost inet:<host>.<domain>
xhost inet:<host>.<domain>
---------------------------

Second, I am starting Cygwin/X from the Cygwin bash shell using the startxwin.sh script as modified below:

#! /bin/sh
export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH
eval `ssh-agent`

# Cleanup from last run.
rm -rf /tmp/.X11-unix

XWin -query <host>.<domain> &
sleep 60s
xwinclip &
exit

Third, after running startxwin.sh, you have 60 seconds to get logged in. If you do, xwinclip starts and works great. If you do not, you get the typical error messages from xwinclip.

I have not yet tried the new versions that support -clipboard.

If/when I delve more deeply into this and figure out how better to set XDMCP/X security/authority, I'll let you know.

R.Parr
TemporalArts.