Re: startx: Malformed file inquiry

What happens if you run xinit directly (instead of via startx)? For quite some time now I have been launching Cygwin/XFree86 via xinit without a hitch (no need to use startx IMHO). More info in the ML archives...

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-10/msg00091.html

From: Shing-Fat Fred Ma <fma@doe.carleton.ca>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: startx: Malformed file inquiry
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:41:54 -0500

> From: Alexander Gottwald
> To: cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com
> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:49:28 +0100 (MET)
> Subject: Re: startx: Malformed file inquiry

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Shing-Fat Fred Ma wrote:
>
> > > + xinit /home/Name/.xinitrc --
> > >
> > > if: Malformed file inquiry.
>
> /home/Name/.xinitrc seems to be the problem.
>
> bye
> ago

I first thought so too. But I get the exact same diagnostic
text even if I run startx from /usr/X11R6/bin, upto and
including

> > + xinit /home/Name/.xinitrc --

So ~/.xinitrc is being sourced in both cases. And
.xinitrc was just a copy of /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.
I added a line at the beginning to echo the path,
but the never gets executed. So I don't think the
error is caused by a problem with ~/.xinitrc (aside
from the fact that the same the safe file gets
sourced when I successfully run startx from
/usr/X11R6/bin). I think it might be the xinit executable
itself, since that's the only code that runs before
.xinitrc.

I presume that people have tried startx from their
home directory and got it working? Just looking for
a few responses as a sanity check.

Thanks.

Fred

--
Fred Ma, fma@doe.carleton.ca
Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics