Re: wrong app-defaults in fresh installation

It is the lesstif package which creates a folder

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults

when /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Mwm is extracted. When there is already a link

app-defaults -> /etc/X11/app-defaults/

the everything is fine - otherwise later you will get the app-defaults link to /etc/X11/app-defaults/ inside the usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults folder.

I had the same problem sometime ago and "complained" ;) to the list. Don't know whether the lesstif maintainer or somebody else could fix it.

Frank-Michael

Danilo Turina wrote:
Hi,
in in a fresh installation of Cygwin on my new XP PC, I noticed that xcalc (and other X apps) didn't work properly. I have had this problem some time ago: within the directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults has been created a link to /etc/X11/app-defaults (where the app-defaults of many applications are).
So while in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults there are on the app-defaults of Mwm all the other app-defaults are in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/app-defaults and the various X apps (e.g. xcalc) can't find them.

Last time I thought that this problem was my fault in that I installed X, lessTiff, WindowMaker as separate packages before they were included in setup and then, when they become available in setup, I replaced them with the setup versions. So I thought some re-packaging would have caused that problem and simply replaced /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults with a link to /etc/X11/app-defaults.

Now, with a fresh Cygwin installation, I have the some problem (that I will solve in the same way) so I think there is some problem with the installation of some X package.

Ciao,

Danilo Turina