Resize problem with xemacs on XWin-Test77 -multiwindow

I'm running XWin-Test77 using the -multiwindow
feature. I can't seem to resize XEmacs's windows. This
is true when running XEmacs 21.4.8 displaying remotely
from a Red Hat 8.0 machine or running XEmacs 21.4.12
running locally compiled under Cygwin. It's easy to
reproduce:

start XWin -multiwindow
start xemacs
try to resize your xemacs window
you'll see that it always snaps back to its original
size.

I haven't had trouble resizing any other applications'
windows, and I haven't had any trouble resizing xemacs
windows when using icewm in Cygwin/XFree86 instead of
XWin's builtin -multiwindow window manager functionality.