Re: Lesstif update?

Brian Ford wrote:
On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Brian Ford wrote:

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Nope. I released it just to get people started with a few Cygwin/XFree86
packages. Nobody has really stepped up to start maintaining packages for
Cygwin/XFree86, so there won't be any new releases from me. Of course, we
are always looking for volunteers to start releasing new and updated
packages. It wasn't hard... took me less than two hours.

Well, I don't know if I can really maintain it for the long term, but I would be happy to update it this time and deal with any short term issues that result. Would that be ok?

I am still confused, though.  Are there any Cygwin specific patches in the
current release?  I guess I can just download the source and do a diff.

I answered my own question here.

Why did you choose to disable shared?

Simple. Lesstif didn't build or run with shared libraries. Building shared libraries on Windows/Cygwin is significantly different than building shared libraries on *nix. Lesstif was using one of those things that was just not compatible with what the Cygwin shared library tools could support at the time. There has been a lot going on with shared library support on Cygwin in the past year, so it is possible that with the correct incantations Lesstif could use shared libraries. Be care though... just because it builds doesn't mean that it will run correctly without crashing. Always do a test run.

Harold

Please CC me on the reply. Thanks.