Re: Running GIMP under Cygwin (not Win32!)??

Hi!
I'v uploaded the binary package and patches to sf.net(http://sourceforge.net/projects/cygnome).
You can download it from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=67909&release_id=143989

Have fun!

David Huang wrote:
Oops! sorry, i forget the patches:(

Good luck;)

Chris Olive wrote:

I posted this question to the cygwin mailing list last week, and someone on that list referred me here and said he cross-posted for me. I didn't hear anything from his "cross-post," so I'm trying again...

It would seem it's at least possible to run The GIMP under Cygwin/XFree. Try as I might, I can't get it to work. Specifically, I can't get some of the necessary pre-requeistes to configure and make properly (glib, GTK+, etc.) Has ANYONE gotten GIMP to work under Cygwin, and if so, specifically what steps did you take to get it to work? I've done a lot of research on this before asking the question, and there is bare mention of this on the web -- I see NO WHERE where anyone claims that this works. Essentially, there is no SOLID information ANYWHERE on getting this to work.

I am interested only in running GIMP under Cygwin/XFree -- I am NOT interested the Win32 version of GIMP! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
-----
Chris Olive
chris[at]technologEase[dot]com

Hi!
I have compiled GIMP on cygwin successfully, using X-Window system, and it works fine.
Of cource, it's easy to get, since native Win32 port works fine.
If you like, please try my little patch, hope helpful.
First you need glib, gtk+, you can build them yourself from sources with patches from
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.obrien2/ (contributed and maintained by Steven O'Brian).
Or, download glib, gtk+ binary packages directly from the Cygwin GNOME project
( http://sourceforge.net/projects/cygnome ), you can find more interesting GNOME
binary packages in cygnome-libs-1.4 (include glib, gtk+).

The build steps i have wrote into a file cygbuild.sh, like:

$ ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome --enable-shared=yes --enable-static=no --disable-perl
Please disable perl plugin, with little patched you can compile successfully, but running
GIMP hangs when try to load perl plugin script, in my test.

$ mv libtool libtool.old
$ cp /usr/autotool/devel/bin/libtool .
Update libtool to build DLL libs, i use the latest libtool.

$ make
$ make install
if you are luck, you'll get gimp run.
I have to say in my test it's OK, but i can't say it's really OK.

BTW: Please patch lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h,