From: "Michel Bardiaux" <mbardiaux at peaktime dot be>
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin.xfree
Cc: "Uli Horn" <uhorn at csir dot co dot za>
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 12:11
Subject: Re: InsightII application problems

> Are you aware your machine seems to have a VERY wrong date? In Netscape,
> your message appears as posted on Sat, 5 Oct 2002 08:36:32 +0200.
> Uli Horn wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I have an molecular modelling application developed by Accelrys called
> > insightII which runs on an SGI.
> >
> > I would like to view it remotely on a PC using the X Windows System.  I
> > tested it using eXceed 3D (MS Windows remote X Windows package) and it
> > to function properly but when I use either cygwin or Redhat Linux it
> > me an error "Couldn't get initial visual in app_init_display" where
> > app_init_display is an application function.
> Maybe the X server under cygwin or RH does not by default create the
> visual expected by the application. Did you compare the output of
> xdpyinfo between Exceed and RH?
> >
> > >From what I can see it uses Opengl and the glx libraries but the
> > might also require Motif.
> ITIYM 'the Motif window manager'. That indeed is not a problem with
> Exceed, which *does* honor the WM properties used by the Motif shell
> widgets, and *is* likely to be a problem with RH, at least when using
> KDE, because the KDW window manager does not honor some of these
> properties. Eg a window supposed to be fixed-size with MWM will have
> effective resize handles with KDM. I have not yet found a way to deal
> with that specific issue even for applications of which I do have the
> source code! One problem has been that I have not yet found any Xt-based
> application that *is* non-resizeable under KDE. Ideas, anyone?
> I have not yet tried our Motif apps under a recent Cygwin so I cant say
> anything about cygwin.
> >
> > My questions are:
> > 1. If the XFree86 module is loaded does this mean that glx is also
> > 2. Is the Motif environment emulated?
> In view of the previous paragraph, could you clarify the question?
> > 3. What are the strategies to get to the nub of the problem?
> >
> > Regards
> > Uli
> --
> Michel Bardiaux
> Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles
> Tel : +32 2 790.29.41

"The CSIR exercises no editorial control over E-mail messages and/or
attachments thereto/links referred to therein originating in the
organisation and the views in this message/attachments thereto are
therefore not necessarily those of the CSIR and/or its employees.
The sender of this e-mail is, moreover, in terms of the CSIR's Conditions
of Service, subject to compliance with the CSIR's internal E-mail and
Internet Policy."