xterm.exe not reading XTerm file in app-defaults

I have run into a problem where xterm.exe ignores the XTerm file in
\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\app-defaults.  I have been able to reproduce this problem
on the current binaries and the current CVS tree.  It has showed up on both
Windows NT and XP.  The tricky part is that the problem is intermittent; on
identical hardware, with identical ghost images, it will work on one machine
and not the other.  The Cygwin install is identical on each box.  The
current user is an admin user on both boxes.  I am thinking that it could be
an 8.3 naming problem with the app-defaults folder.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bryan