Re: .bat from xterm opens cmd.exe window

use the "run" utility that avoids windows creation.
location : /usr/X11R6/bin/run.exe
 --- Vijay Sampath <vsampath at valosystems dot com> a écrit : > Hi,

> I just happened to read the following thread in Cygwin. I am having
> the
> same problem after I recently upgraded to a new version of cygwin.
>
> The problem is that we have makefiles which call perl scripts. We use
> dmake and ccperl (which is a Windows version of perl). I didn't fully
> understand the explanation given here, but I am having the same
> problem
> as the original poster. Each time I call dmake, it opens and closes
> dozens of windows. I am guessing this happens for every invocation of
> ccperl and any shell commands in the perl script or makefile. Since I
> am
> the only one in the company using cygwin and the X environment, I
> cannot
> change the makefiles.
>
> I was wondering if any of you have a solution for this, especially
> since
> this did not use to happen before. Please reply-all as I am not
> subscribed to the list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vijay
>

> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 07:01:08PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> >> I had not verified that. How, after Igor stated that cmd shows up
> in
> xterm I
> >> tried this too and it works for me. Even the snippet above
> displays
> in the
> >> xterm window.
> >>
> >> bye
> >>         ago
> >
> >FWIW, I'm getting the same behavior as reported by the original
> poster
> >(i.e., any cygwin program called from a batch file from an xterm
> pops
> up a
> >new window).
> >
> >However, I believe I have an explanation of what's happening, though
> not a
> >solution:
> >Cygwin programs running in an xterm have a tty that does not have a
> >console window associated with it.  When any cygwin program is
> invoked,
> it
> >checks (through a part of cygwin1.dll) whether it's running in a
> tty,
> and
> >if so, does not try to manipulate the console at all.  However, when
> >cmd.exe is run in such a setting, it loses the tty information.
> Thus,
> >program invoked from this cmd.exe session has neither a tty nor a
> console
> >window, so it has to allocate one.  Hope this makes sense.
>
> That sounds like exactly what is going on, Igor.  Thank you for
> explaining
> it so well.
>
> >To the original poster: since there is no way to propagate tty
> information
> >through a cmd.exe session, I suppose the best solution would still
> [...]

=====
Sylvain Petreolle (spetreolle at users dot sourceforge dot net)
Fight Spam ! EuroCauce: http://www.euro.cauce.org/en/index.html
ICQ #170597259

"Don't think you are. Know you are." Morpheus, in "Matrix".