XShm and remote displays, and XVideo

I read the thread about VNC... very interesting.
'Course I'm more interested in using X remotely...
  Q1. Is Shm a local-only thing
  Q2. If not, what would the expected performance
       bennies be?

Awhile back I asked about XVideo -- it even led
to a blurb about how to implement it.  Some questions:
Is XVideo more efficient over-the-wire than standard X?
Reason I ask is the CPU usage on my server (doing
colorspace conversions & scaling) is almost nil, but
the network traffic exceeds capacity by almost 3:1.

TIA,
Thor Johnson