Re: XWin -clipboard and xwinclip bad highlighting behavior

Cary,

Cary Jamison wrote:
"Biju G C" <bijumaillist at yahoo dot com> wrote in message
news:<20030409033044 dot 71472 dot qmail at web14603 dot mail dot yahoo dot com>...

Hi,
 > between them.  Because of this I only start xwinclip when I need

it. I

> have a shortcut on my desktop so I can quickly start it when I want and

This is a good idea, So why not we have a GUI option for "xwinclip"
So who ever wants it can "Enable" and "Disable" Clipboard sharing
on the fly.

A "copy one time at click" option will also be good.

That would be a better work-around. Personally, though, I would rather
spend my time trying to fix it right than working on a work-around.
Unless fixing it right turns out to be way too tough - which may be the
case and may be why Harold hasn't done it already.

Yeah, kinda sounds pointless in the grand scheme of things

Also, Harold has recently done the work to integrate xwinclip into the
server, so doing more work on it may be viewed as a step backward.

I have now realized that the real way to integrate the X and Windows clipboards is with hooks in the general X server code that call routines in the Windows-specific code and so forth. It is highly unlikely that the clipboard integration will require an X client application, and this removes many of the short comings of the current clipboard application. For example, the nightmares people have using xwinclip or -clipboard with XDMCP will go away with server-side code handling the integration.

I am not sure if the integration would be provided by an X Server extension or if we would have to have some #ifdef __CYGWIN__ sections in the general X server code. In any case, I haven't got time to work on it and I am unlikely to for months, or even forever. Hopefully someone else will find clipboard integration interesting to them.