This is the mail archive of the mailing list for the Cygwin XFree86 project.

Re: XWin design suggestion

Sam Edge wrote:
Harold L Hunt II <> wrote in
in gmane.os.cygwin.xfree on Sun, 04 May 2003 20:52:34 -0400:

Yes, I have already thought of that one... and actually started some work on it awhile ago. In fact, my near-term plans for XWin.exe are to add a couple registry settings to remember the position of the Exit confirmation dialog box. If that goes well, it will only be a matter of time until more settings are registry enabled.

At first reading I was of the opinion that stuff like this should be
in POSIX-ish configuration files of one sort or another - a
".something" file or directory under each user's $HOME with default
values under /etc - not in the registry under
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/<Organization>/<Application>" and

On the other hand, I imagine that many people use XWin.exe as a sort
of container application, with everything Cygwin/remote-X-client
"inside" the X session/window(s) and everything Windows-y outside, so
things like the confirmation dialog box are in some sense "outside"
the POSIX realm.

Oh heck. Indecision. Must be the hour of the day and the red wine. ;-D

I have spent a bit of time thinking of the different options here as well. In the end I think that this is a Windows application, not a *NIX application, so it should follow Windows conventions not *NIX conventions. That's the way that I will code it... of course, patches that implement functionality to read a .config file would probably be applied, but I don't think I will be writing that code anytime soon :)