Re: Newbie : XWin, rxvt, gv

fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net wrote:

> I start things up with a three-line batch file
>
>     set DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
>     start XWin -multiwindow
>     run rxvt {switches} -e /bin/bash

> I'm sorry: I'm completely new to this. are the args to DISPLAY to do with
> size and resolution or something else?

The DISPLAY variable tells the xclient where to look for the xserver.
127.0.0.1:0.0 just means the xserver is waiting for clients on the local
host on display 0 (== port 6000) and the window will be placed on the first
screen.

See man X

> What is the role of the word "start"?

Start a program. This sends XWin to the background. otherwise the batchfile
would wait until xwin has ended and starts rxvt after that.

> I ask because on exiting rxvt I always end up with a copy of XWin hanging
> around that has to be kill'd through Task Manager.

Why not starting xwin alone and use only this short batchfile for rxvt?

     set DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
     run rxvt {switches} -e /bin/bash

>Can I omit the word
> start, or if not, should there be a 4th line that carries the sense of "stop
> XWin"?

Just try to start xwin alone and use the small batch file above.

>Similarly, the word "run". Can I omit this word and just use
>
>     rxvt {switches} -e /bin/bash?

without run you will have a console window for each rxvt you start. run
suppresses this window.

bye
    ago

NP: DeVision - Circulate