-multiwindow crashes XWin.exe, twm does not

I'd like to report a problem, though I suspect licensing may impede
debugging. (I'll try to get any information requested.) Locally I'm
running cygwin 1.3.22-1 (with xfree* updated today) atop w2k sp3. I
want to X into an RHL8 box (here "1.2.3.4") on which I want to run IBM's
WebSphere Studio Site Developer Express (for testing). 1.2.3.4
requires ssh and is inside a firewall.

WebSphere Studio products typically put up a configuration dialog,
then display the full UI. When my startxwin.bat has

- start XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -unixkill

I get my xterm, in which I run

# local
xhost + 1.2.3.4
ssh -X -l userid 1.2.3.4
# remote
cd /opt/IBM/WebSphere/Express/SiteDeveloper
./wasexpress51 &

This launches the dialog. When I hit OK (taking the harmless defaults),
taskmgr shows some activity, until XWin.exe GPFs. But if I use

+ start XWin -clipboard -unixkill

+ REM Startup an xterm, using bash as the shell.

+ run xterm -sl 1000 -sb -rightbar -ms red -fg white -bg blue -e
/usr/bin/bash

+ REM Startup the twm window manager.
+ REM WARNING: Do not use an external window manager in conjunction with
+ REM the ``-multiwindow'' command-line parameter for XWin.  Doing so
+ REM would start two window managers, which is never supposed to happen.

+ run twm

in my startxwin.bat, and run the same xterm session above, both the
dialog and the full IDE launch properly.