Re: how to get source ip of a telnet session

Any reason you can't grep the output of tlntadmn to get what you need?

By the way, when I run tlntadmn /? I get:

C:\Documents and Settings\harold>tlntadmn /?

Usage: tlntadmn [computer name] [common_options] start | stop | pause | continue
| -s | -k | -m | config config_options
Use 'all' for all sessions.
-s sessionid List information about the session.
-k sessionid Terminate a session.
-m sessionid Send message to a session.

config Configure telnet server parameters.

common_options are:
-u user Identity of the user whose credentials are to be used

-p password Password of the user

config_options are:
    dom = domain           Set the default domain for user names
    ctrlakeymap = yes|no   Set the mapping of the ALT key
    timeout = hh:mm:ss     Set the Idle Session Timeout
    timeoutactive = yes|no Enable idle session timeout.
    maxfail = attempts     Set the maximum number of login failure attempts
                           before disconnecting.
    maxconn = connections  Set the maximum number of connections.
    port = number          Set the telnet port.
    sec = [+/-]NTLM [+/-]passwd
                           Set the authentication mechanism
    mode = console|stream  Specify the mode of operation.

C:\Documents and Settings\harold>

So, what do you mean when you say it does not seem to accept arguments?

Harold

msg wrote:

Greetings:

We need a method of learning the ip address of the client in a telnet
session to a Win2k Server SP3 host; the information will be used in
the user's ~/.profile to set the DISPLAY variable prior to starting
an X session.

On Unix one may use 'lsof' (if available) and grep on the shell pid and
file descriptor 0 to find the line containing the source ip addr. In
some flavors of Unix the /proc filesystem can also be of help.

We're currently using the native Windows Telnet Server; 'tlntadmn.exe'
can interactively show connections and provide a SESSION ID crossed
to the ip address; one could conceivably cross the SESSION ID to
the bash pid but the 'tlntadmn' tool isn't well documented and doesn't
seem to accept arguments so it is useless in scripts.

All suggestions much appreciated.

Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum