Re: XWin -multiwindows problem

Terry,

Try changing the display depth on the problem machine from 32 bits to 24, 16, or 15 bits. In fact, try each one of those depths if the first one you try doesn't work.

Report your results to the mailing list please.

Harold

terry wrote:
I have successfully setup a Win98se system with CygWin using startxwin.bat from a download a couple of weeks ago (Perhaps if it had been difficult, I would know better how to deal with this problem :>) ).

I am attempting to do the same on another system with almost identical hardware, also using Win98se. The significant difference between the systems is that the successful system has a 19" monitor @1600x1200 while the problem system has a 17" monitor @1024x768. I have not modified startxwin.bat, and everything works fine 'non-multiwindow'. I cannot determine how to deal with the error in the XWin log below. Many thanks for any help.

terry

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1024 h 768
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
OsVendorInit - Creating bogus screen 0
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
InitOutput - Error reading config file
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000017
InitOutput - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
winSetEngine - Multi Window => ShadowGDI
winAdjustVideoModeShadowGDI - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - User w: 1024 h: 768
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Current w: 1024 h: 768
winAdjustForAutoHide - Original WorkArea: 0 0 768 1024
winAdjustForAutoHide - Taskbar is auto hide
winAdjustForAutoHide - Found LEFT auto-hide taskbar
winAdjustForAutoHide - Adjusted WorkArea: 0 1 768 1024
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - WindowClient w 1023 h 768 r 1023 l 0 b 768 t 0
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Returning
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 1023 height: 768 depth: 32
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Dibsection width: 1023 height: -768 depth: 32 size image: 3142656
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Shadow blit failure
winFinishScreenInitFB - Could not allocate framebuffer
winScreenInit - winFinishScreenInit () failed

Fatal server error:
InitOutput - Couldn't add screen 0