Re: [RFC]: Breaking out fontconfig and freetype into seperate packages

Nicholas,

Can you explain to me what fontconfig and freetype2 are, specifically?

Do they consist of a couple libraries and some executables?

How many files are involved in a package that contains them?

Are any of their libraries linked to from within the standard XFree86 distribution?

The reason I ask these questions is that I am all for splitting out fontconfig and freetype2, as long as I can cleanly exclude them from the packaging scripts and if I don't have to do too much recompiling when new fontconfig/freetype2 packages are released.

Answer those questions and we can think about it.

Harold

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

Harold,

Would you be against having someone else maintain the freetype2 & fontconfig packages external of XFree86 sources? There are a couple of reasons for wanting this:

1)Freetype & fontconfig aren't necessarily X libraries and they don't specifically require X. Some non-X packages are starting to use it, and others will follow in the future. Also, it is possible that one could link them to a hybrid w32api/cygwin gui application.

2)XFree86 is notorious for lagging behind the current releases, especially in respect to fontconfig.

3)Most all of the major linux vendors do this, and have been doing it for quite some time now.

4)It means less work and less to download each time there's an update to some other XFree86 library or binary.

I've been tracking current sources and have working packaging scripts for both. If you are interested, I'd be willing to do an ITP in cygwin-apps, having them target the /usr prefix as opposed to /usr/X11R6.

Also, I'd like to do an ITP for ttmkfdir, but I'll hold off on that until we get this request squared away.

Cheers,
Nicholas