Rxvt & new XFree [was Re: 'Wrong' dll names in 4.3.0-1 packages ->breaks all 3rd party X apps]

David A. Case wrote:

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

No. Older X apps will need to be recompiled for 4.3.0. This is a change that needed to happen. In the meantime, you can keep the old DLLs in the same directory and it will allow older X apps to run side by side with new X apps.

One of the most common "older apps" that needs to be recompiled is rxvt.
This seems to be a packaging issue: what is the best way for setup to (help)
ensure that people upgrading to the new Xfree86 version get a re-compiled
rxvt as well?

Of course, in principle, rxvt is no different from other X programs that are
not updated when Xfree86 is updated, but I think it is very widely used,
and hence likely to trip almost everyone up when it stops working after they
update the X packages.

Well then, Steve's probably the one to talk to regarding this. I believe the problem is that rxvt isn't actually linked to any Cygwin/XFree86 libs, since it uses its own hybrid emulation lib, libW11. I'll let Steve comment on the specifics involved, but I believe that libW11 will need updating to match current libX11 api differences. I wonder if Donald Becker has updated the sources yet?

Cheers,
Nicholas