Re: request for new feature

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 01:21:12PM -0400, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>We discussed this back in May/June.  Suhaib mailed me the CDs of his
>initial work in June as a result of the discussion.  I have the CDs, so
>I don't need to check the archives for proof here.  Of course, since
>then I have been rather tied up with things (wedding, moving, etc.).
>
>End of discussion.

I think I can judge when I want to stop discussing, thanks.

Maybe you don't recall, but you discussed moving to a non-cygwin version
of XFree86 some time ago.  Perhaps you recall my objections then.

The consequences of the decision to possibly fork XFree86 and steer
Cygwin/Xfree86 development in the direction of the future fork are that
I will occasionally comment on what I think is an incorrect decision.

So, to reiterate, avoiding a perfectly valid use of the Cygwin (aka
UNIX) API is, IMO, questionable and, I'll be randomly offering my
opinion on that subject when I notice it cropping up.

So, when I mention this again, you can remind me again that you already
told me what you'd decided, and I'll send you the URL to this message.

For the record, I offer this same perspective to any other package that
suggests using Windows APIs over Cygwin's.

Anyway, from a purely technical point of view, regardless of whether
you want to use the Cygwin API or not, I'll again offer that the code
in fhandler_tty.cc (specifically fhandler_tty_slave::open, near the end)
might be useful for controlling the console window popup problem.  Look
for CreateWindowStation.  If you are using the cygwin api, you should be
able to get the same behavior by closing stdin/stdout/stderr and calling
setsid().
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org