Re: rfe: seamless windows integration

Jack Tanner wrote:
Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Thanks. Let me tell you, we already have a laundry list of dream features. We just need people to start working on them.

Harold,

Thanks. If I wanted to hear you be dismissive and condescending, I could've just gone back and read the list archive.

Dismissive and condescending? No, that was not my intention, sorry that you got that impression.

I'm not a developer, but I am a user interested in the development of this project, and I'm doing what I can to contribute through testing and reporting bugs. Moreover, I have a fair amount of academic traning in human-computer interaction and user experience engineering, and my suggestions are based on a thought-out analysis.

I don't doubt that you have plenty of training.

However, have you read your suggestions and talked to some programmers about them? Here, lets take a look. [Yes, now you should be intrepting my remarks as generally pissy, snotty, dismissive, and condescending].

1. X should run as a service. There's no reason for it to run as a user-launched app.

This really doesn't matter and, in fact, is probably incorrect. Cygwin/XFree86 needs to interact with the display (else you could use Xvfb), so running it as a service that won't always have a desktop connected is pointless. Furthermore, a machine shared by multiple users (like a Terminal Services server) will not be able to service all users with a single instance of XFree86 running. Another point is that, I believe, services that interact with the desktop need to run under an actual user account and it would be silly to have XFree86 running under 'bill' when 'steve' is logged in.

Besides, this could be done with a simple shortcut in the Startup group in the Start menu. In fact, that should be done and had all of the bugs worked out before anyone talks any further of services.

2. All X client application on one's machine should have shortcuts associated with them in the start menu, and these shortcuts should be created automatically during installation.

This is icing on the cake. This is the kind of thing that Microsoft hires 500 college interns to write in the summer because it takes a hell of a lot of time and attention to detail to get it 'right', whereas the overall benefit is very small in comparison.

Furthermore, this requires interacting with the Cygwin setup developers. You think I am mean?

3. Exiting X (e.g., by stopping the service) should list all cygwin processes that were launched under X and prompt the user to terminate them. For example, an ssh-agent launched from an xterm should be killed automatically.

Huh? Exiting X right now kills all connected clients. There is already an "Are you sure?" warning dialog. Free software is all about bang for the buck; the above feature might be nice, but it only matters to marketroids.

Enmity aside, it wouldn't take too long to actually consider and respond to what I suggested, and I would welcome discussion.

Yes it would. It took me like 10 minutes to write this reply. I don't have to be party to any and all discussions that take place on this list. I wrote my reply and said my piece. Others were free to jump all over your email and praise it.

Furthermore, you got a reply to your message from Earle indicating his interest. So, I don't see why you have to have a beef with me when you appear to already have another supporter with influence.

After all of that, my position is exactly as I stated, without malice, in my original email: those suggestions will go on the wish list, below other more fundamental problems like crashes (-clipboard when copying large amouns of text) and startup failures (with -clipboard and -multiwindow). There is still a lot of architectural work that needs to be done before we will start worrying about icing the cake.