Re: DDD dies on me

Howdy Andrew...

---------- Original Message -------------
Subject: DDD dies on me
From: "Andrew Braverman" <abraverman@itms.com>
A while ago (beginning of June, I think), I posted a note to this group that
..
to figure out that the program occurred in winScaleXBitmapToWindows in
winmultiwindowicons.c.  I ran three consecutive tests and two of those three
caused a segfault in the free at the end of the procedure (actually in
mktime??? called by free).  The iconData mallocs at the beginning of the
procedure seem to align correctly with the frees at the end.  The last
caused a segfault in fb24_32BltUp which is called from the miGetImage at the
beginning of the procedure.  Seeing that, I decided to try the program in 16
bit color and everything was fine.  For the first time, I was able to see
that this program does display its own icon on the title bar.  Does anyone
(Earle?) have any suggestions about where I should start digging?  In any
case, I will try to do a little more digging over the next week or so.
-----------------

A silly question, it is XWin.exe that's SEGVíng and not DDD.exe, correct?
And what was the screen depth (8/15/16/24/32) you were running that
caused the bomb?

Also, could you add some ErrorF()s to dump all local variables to the
/tmp/XWin.log file, as well as the pixmap->drawable structure elements,
too?  [ErrorF() works just like printf() so just ErrorF("varX=%d\n",varX);
is all that's needed...]  Posting the info it spits out before a SEGV would
go a long way towards debugging this...

The most likely culprit is that one of the conversions is overwriting the
Windows icon data that it's allocated, causing bad stuff to happen later
on.  You can see how I switch between the possible formats on
effXBPP and effBPP(the Windoze BPP we're converting to), possibly not
all cases have been tested, *especially* 8-bit modes.
--
-Earle F. Philhower, III
 earle@ziplabel.com