Re: CygWin GPLing by proxy (Was: Cannot display through rsh)

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

Harold,

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Igor,

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Steinar Bang wrote:

Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu>:

[snip!]

Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to distribute the resulting
application, because anything linked with cygwin1.dll automatically
becomes GPLd.  If you could find an open-source JDK, this problem
would not arise.

IANAL, but... can this be right?

If I write an application for UNIX/linux and make it available under
some other license than GPL, and someone else ports it to CygWin, I
don't see how this would automatically make my application be GPL'd?

An in any case, this would only apply to the JDK in this case.  A Java
application running inside the JDK shouldn't be affected in any way.

Ah well. Off-topic I guess. And it isn't even Friday anymore.

Steinar,

Well, there has been plenty of GPL discussion on the Cygwin list -- let's
not also start it on cygwin-xfree.  However, since this involves something
I said, I'd like to correct one misunderstanding: if you release your
application under some licence that's not compatible with GPL (as defined

by FSF), whoever ports your application to Cygwin and distributes it is
*in violation* of the GPL (but that does not make your application GPL --
you, as the author, completely control the licensing terms).  For more
information, please review the numerous discussions on the Cygwin list or
contact a GPL discussion list.
     Igor

Right, I agree that we are not discussing this here. However, I think that your comment was either simply wrong, or not allowing for the possibility (which he seems to be indicating) that his application would be released under an "Open Source" compatible license. From the Cygwin licensing page (http://cygwin.com/licensing.html):

"In accordance with section 10 of the GPL, Red Hat permits programs
whose sources are distributed under a license that complies with the
Open Source definition to be linked with libcygwin.a without libcygwin.a
itself causing the resulting program to be covered by the GNU GPL."

So, since this isn't really a case of things being "automatically GPL'd", lets just forget it.

Harold

Isn't that what I said (see underlined part above)?  But you're right,
let's just forget it.
	Igor

Igor,

I don't know that the majority of readers would know that "not in violation of the GPL" and "complies with the Open Source definition" sort of mean the same thing. The latter at least points them to the so called Open Source definition, while the former leaves them hanging, wondering if their license is in violation or not.