Re: importlibraries names

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 03:44:02PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> the importlibraries are named libxyz.dll.a (or the symlinks to the actual
> libraries are).  This is not a problem for the linker which will pick
> them up when -lxyz is specified.  But I have some configuration scripts
> which are looking for libX11.a in the libdir which is pretty usual.
>
> Would it be a problem to create the symlinks to be libxyz.a instead of
> libxyz.dll.a in future releases or use the same names of the
> importlibraries as it was before, without version included?

No.  There are two types of import libs:

libfoo.dll.a which results in linking against the apropriate DLL and
libfoo.a which is the static lib.  This scheme has been settled already
loooong ago and is obeyed by binutils.  If the configuration script
gets this wrong, the configuration script should be fixed.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.