Re: Running remote programs locally

Unless you *really* know what you are doing, in which case you are on your own, then you are doing the wrong thing with ssh and X clients. The proper procedure is described in the Cygwin/XFree86 User's Guide:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-ssh

Harold

Andrew Clarke wrote:

Hi. I'm new to cygwin although I've been using Unix/Linux on and off for several years. I have the full cygwin-xfree package loaded and I'm trying to ssh into my Linux computer and run applications locally. So, this is the process I go through:

Start bash shell
Run 'xwin &'
When it comes up, I 'ssh linuxcomputer' and enter my password
Through vncserver at my root prompt of my linux computer, I type 'xhost +windowscomputer'. I did the same with my windows computer's IP address just to be sure.
>From the xwin ssh window to my linux computer, I type something simple like 'xterm -display windowscomputer:0' and I get the following error:

Xlib: Connection to "windowscomputer:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

I think I got xterm to work once a few days ago but since I don't have it working now I'm not even sure about that. I have never been able to get anything like Mozilla or Evolution to run though.

This is supposed to work, right? Does anybody have any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks a lot,
- Andrew Clarke.