Re: XFree86 goes into stasis when NetMeeting is running

Jeffrey,

Netmeeting and Cygwin/XFree86 in fullscreen mode both need an exclusive lock on DirectDraw. At least, that is what makes sense to me. One way around this is to use the "-engine 1" command-line parameter for XWin.exe. This will tell XWin.exe to use the GDI based (i.e. non-DirectDraw) engine to draw its graphics. You will notice it is a little more sluggish than the DirectDraw engine (which is used by default), but it will solve your problems with NetMeeting.

Let us know if this works for you,

Harold

Jeffrey C Honig wrote:
I've recently switched back to Cygwin/XFree86 from Exceed (ugh) and
rediscovered a problem.

I'm running XFree86 with -fullscreen on my Win2k laptop.  Whenever I
start NetMeeting to join a call, XFree86 will no longer display until I
exit NetMeeting.  If I use Alt-Tab to switch to XFree86, it will not be
restored.  As soon as I exit NetMeeting I am able to switch to XFree86
again.

What gives?

Thanks.

Jeff