Compiing XWin...

Ages ago I did some messing around with compiling XWin. I followed the steps in the Contributor's Guide, checking out the xc package from CVS and running make World. After that I was able to play with XWin itself, recompiling just that target from the xc/programs/Xservers directory (or something similar - don't know if I'm remembering it quite correctly).

At the time, it occurred to me that if I installed the XFree86-lib and XFree86-prog packages via Cygwin Setup, it should be possible to get just the Xservers branch of the XFree86 source tree, run xmkmf to generate the Makefile, then build just XWin without having to download and build all of XFree86. But I never got around to re-trying it that way.

I've recently been motivated to do some tinkering with XWin and before I set about the task of getting the source, compiling, etc., is there an obvious (or not-so-obvious) fallacy with my modified approach to building XWin?

FYI - A full build of XFree86 takes hours on my ThinkPad w/ Pentium III @ 700MHz, 512MB RAM, and Win2k.

Need more e-mail storage? Get 10MB with Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es