Re: Problems with xclock in recent versions

William,

I looked into this briefly and noticed that it is some sort of problem with /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/fonts.cache-1. I figured this out by copying the config files from each font directory, in turn, from a machine that didn't have the problem to a machine that does have the problem. None of the config files fixed the problem until I copied over the Type1 config files.

Then, I did a 'diff' to see what has changed between the files... NOTHING! Weird. Then I replaced the old config files and made sure that I could duplicate the error; I could.

Finally, I figured out that you can simply 'touch' the 'fonts.cache-1' file to fix the problem:

touch /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/fonts.cache-1

I will eventually make a new package for the Type1 fonts, but I would like to understand the problem better, and why the solution works, before I do that.

Can anyone offer some insight on this?

Thanks for the bug report,

Harold

William A. Gianopoulos wrote:
For at least the last couple of weeks, I have had a problem with xclock. When I start xclock, I receive the message:

Warning: Cannot convert string "" to type XftFont

If I try to start xclock in digital mode I additionally get:

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

This is all with the latest and greatest (as of this morning) Cygwin distribution.

Any help would be appreciated.