Re: Xfree86 is slow! with software like MATLAB

Harold & Mark,

To contribute to the discussion:

I see the same problem when running Matlab. In my case Matlab is run on a
Compaq/HP Tru64 computer with the GUI displayed on my Windows PC running
cygwin/xfree in multiwindow mode. I also have a commercial X server (xwin32)
available on my PC. Display of Matlab graphics, or even updating of the icons
in Matlab window menubar are considerably slower when running via cygwin/xfree -
 the graphics benchmarks that Matlab provide run approximately 100 times slower
under cygwin/xfree than under xwin32. Trials of other commercial X servers
indicated that some are slow and some are quick, probably due to the reason
given by Harold.

An in-house, graphically intensive, X program run under the same setup as above
does not show such a marked difference. One point of difference is that the
Matlab GUI is written entirely in Java, while the other program uses GTK.

Regards

Gavin