XWin: necessary internet access?

I am attempting to mount and run a necessarily reduced Cygwin and selected
applications from a 64MB USB stick drive. It's built incrementally (as
follows: include a .exe in /bin; then, if that fails with a "missing .dll"
message include the .dll too) and at approx 48MB usage including a massive
statistics application program it works just fine.

I'd like to include X (specifically xdvi.exe to read .dvi files). In this
context the main system (i.e. complete Cygwin on a HD) is started by

    start XWin -multiwindow
    run rxvt -display localhost:0.0 -e bash
    xdvi test.dvi

(that's for 98SE: in XP I omit "start") and this works faultlessly.

As far as I know all components necessary to achieve the same end are
included on the stick (i.e. there are no more "missing .dll" announcements).
Unfortunately I must be wrong because even before starting rxvt I find XWin
is "very transient". By this I mean that after the command
"XWin -multiwindow" the X icon appears briefly in the system tray in the
taskbar, but then evaporates almost immediately. Then, of course, the rxvt
line fails because the display cannot be found.

I have tried any and all of XWin &, XWin -multiwindow &, running XWin after
bash rather than before  ... I cannot get it to "stay".

I am sorry not to have made my circumstances any clearer than they are (e.g.
what's on the stick). AND I know it is disagreeable / impossible to offer
advice for non-standard systems. I attach a cygcheck -srv in case it is
obvious from that what further necessary component I still lack.

Thank you for any help.

Fergus