Re: XFree86-bin-icons

[Discussion on this issue is now taking place where it should have in the first place: cygwin-xfree. Please follow the cygwin-xfree mailing list for further posts.]

Igor,

Okay, that explains why I couldn't find the message in cygwin-xfree. I really wish someone would have redirected the question over here... I never saw it.

> FWIW, you can force the order of execution of the XFree86-bin-icons.sh
> postinstall script by making the package dependent on XFree86-bin and
> others, but that would most likely defeat the purpose of the package.

Thanks. I actually did that just now, right before you suggested it. However, I didn't know that it would force the order of post-install script execution; that is a nice side-effect. The bin-icons package should logically depend on the bin package. People can manually unselect it if they want to.

The XFree86-bin-icons package is buggy.  It's basically a postinstall
script that tries to create icons for the X programs that are installed
on your machine.  The problem is that it tries to create them in the
Start Menu for "All Users" without checking whether the current user can
write to it.

That's not entirely true. For example, my account has Administrator priveleges on my machine, the script runs fine when I launch it from a bash prompt; so file permissions are not an issue.

I'm not quite sure why it hangs for you, but you can try
runnning that script manually via "bash -x" and seeing where it hangs.

It doesn't hang when you do this.

Something strange is going on here... setup.exe says "Running: No Package /etc/postinstal/XFree86-bin-icons". What is up with the "No Package"? Is that indicating the real problem?

Another thing is that an Uninstall of XFree86-bin-icons also hangs when it tries to run the preremove script. Yet, running the preremove script by hand never causes any problems (e.g. bash -x /etc/preremove/XFree86-bin-icons.sh).

What gives?