Re: Setup 2.358 Hangs During Post-Install Script

Jerry,

Jerry James wrote:

Igor wrote:

The XFree86-bin-icons package is buggy.  It's basically a postinstall
script that tries to create icons for the X programs that are installed on
your machine.  The problem is that it tries to create them in the Start
Menu for "All Users" without checking whether the current user can write
to it.  I'm not quite sure why it hangs for you, but you can try running
that script manually via "bash -x" and seeing where it hangs.  If you do
investigate, please post your findings to the cygwin-xfree list.

I had the same problem, but when I ran the script manually, it worked
without complaint.  I just now tried to upgrade to the latest released
packages, including the upgrade to XFree86-bin-icons 4.3.0-4 from
4.3.0-3.  The *uninstall* process hung.  When I ran the script manually,
it said:

rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Editors
rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Games
rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Information
rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Tools
rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Toys
rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86
rmdir: `/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86': Permission denied
rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86

And then it exited, so I'm guessing it was Setup (version 2.415) itself
that hung.  The bit about permission denied is nonsense, since I am
logged in as Administrator.  What is true is that that directory was not
empty, since many X packages did not need upgrading at that time.
However, I have no idea if that had anything to do with the hang.

The permission denied is not nonsense... it is a catch-all that happens to be correct in this case. Check the change log for XFree86-bin-icons-4.3.0-4... it specifically mentions that we had to stop trying to remove the top folder while 'find' has a lock on the top folder. That lock is what causes the 'permission denied' error: you are not allowed to delete files that are locked (in use), no matter what your privilege. The new version fixes that problem.

In any case, setup shouldn't even care if the script returns an error or not... setup shouldn't be hanging just because the script gives an error but finishes okay. However, I don't think that this error is what is causing setup to hang. It will likely be some time before this is fully understood.