Clipboard unicode/utf-8 (xwinclip)

Hi.

I have a feeling this question has been posed before, but the problem I was
searching for answers on was difficult to put in a Google friendly format.

When I try to cut and paste _from_ Evolution inside X to any external Windows
program, all non-ascii characters show up as "\x{00ae}", etc. Cut/paste the
other way works fine.

The Windows host is running Windows 2000 Pro, and I'm using the latest packaged
Cygwin XFree. Evolution (1.4.5) is run on a separate FreeBSD (4.8) server.

I'm thinking it has something to do with GNOME2 using unicode/utf-8, and
possibly something to do with locale settings on the FreeBSD box.

Does anyone here know what's happening? Do you have any pointers to where I
could find out more?

-- Daniel