Re: Using nls/locale.alias [ago please comment]

Harold,

> > By the way, nls/locale.alias has alias somethig like
> > "Arabic_Egypt.1256". Can we use that?
> > If so, we no longer need LANG environment variable.
>
> I didn't know that we currently needed the LANG environment variable.  I
> don't really know enough about this stuff to contribute a useful
> suggestion here.  I think I will do whatever you and Alexander think
> will work.  Of course, I am always willing to try something out and
> change it back if it fails for too many people.

We must know CF_TEXT text encoding to convert it to CTEXT/UTF-8.

XmbTextListToTextProperty requires input text to be encoded by
current locale encoding. XmbTextPropertyToTextList's output text is
encoded using current locale encoding.
setlocale set those data, and it look at LC_CTYPE or LANG if second
parameter of setlocale is "".

Xutf8* use UTF-8 encoding so they work without LANG/LC_CTYPE.

Kensuke Matsuzaki