Re: Updated: xfig-3.2.4-4 and xfig-lib-3.2.4-4

Chuck,

Charles Wilson wrote:

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

2) Consolidate the packages into xfig-lib (graphic symbols library), xfig (everything else).

When you remove packages completely, you need to provide a compatibility package that has the same name but higher version number. That way, setup.exe will Do The Right Thing:

1) update obsolete package xfig-etc (or whatever)
   --- remove xfig-etc(old version)
   --- install xfig-etc(new version)

2) update xfig
   --- remove xfig(old)
   --- install xfig(new == consolidated)

But setup reshuffles this into remove and install:

1) remove xfig-etc(old version)
   remove xfig(old)
2) install xfig-etc(new version => empty, so this is a no-op)
   install xfig(new == consolidated)

And everything Just Works. If you DON'T do that, then setup.exe would just update xfig -- but both xfig-etc(old) and xfig(new) would claim to "own" the files that were consolidated into xfig(new).

So, compatibility packages. (Now, it's possible that setup.exe could [does?] support conflicts: and obsoletes: keywords, in which case that's a better solution than compat pkgs. Ask Robert...)

Me, since I'm paying attention, I'll just do it manually: setup->remove all currently installed xfig-related packages, and then setup->install just the new pkgs. But not everybody pays attention -- or reads these little announcements.

Thanks, I suspected as much and was going to do just as you suggested. Then I did a local install and it seemed like it removed the old xfig-* packages as I hoped it would. I checked more closely after your message and noticed that it was indeed not working as I had hoped. I created compatibility packages for both the xfig packages and the XFree86-xwinclip package.

Thanks for the tip and watching my work :)