Re: Server crashes when snes9x.exe is started

Frédéric,

Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
As soon as I start snes9x.exe 1.41-1 (a Super Nintendo emulator
- http://www.snes9x.com/) the server crashes with the
following:

xinit:  connection to X server lost.
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 10719 requests (10623 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 81713 requests (81698 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

[1]+ Done startx

Is this a bug ? Are any applications supposed to make XWin.exe
crash ?

Not a known bug. No application should cause XWin.exe to crash.

I tried this on my system (Win XP Pro SP1a + all latest patches) and could not reproduce the problem.

I tried it with both -multiwindow (uses GDI engine) and with -nodecoration -lesspointer (uses DirectDraw engine). Neither crashed when snes9x.exe was launched.

Try the above two tests as I did.

Have you already loaded a ROM in snes9x.exe? Does it cache this and try to load it on the next startup? If so, perhaps that is causing the problem. I do not have any ROMs, so I cannot test that further.

Try starting with startxwin.bat instead of startx. You could actually be seeing a crash in one of the sub-apps launched by xinit, which might be causing the server to be killed. Please send in /tmp/XWin.log from one of these crashes as well.