cygwin/X in the ENTERPRISE environment

Hi ALL,

Let's firstly introduce myself. I am IC designer in one of the big
semiconductor company, here, in Silicon Valley,
We are in process to migrate from SUN workstations to "something_else".
The main reason for this change is COST REDUCTION ( aka saving money )

We have two options. One option is "LINUX workstation" and the another is "WIN XP + X11 emulator".

Very likely we will use BOTH.

Engineering community will use (mostly) LINUX and product/test guys will use WIN XP.
Of course, I would like that ALL technical people use LINUX... but this will not happen (as it seems right now)

So, I've proposed to our WINDOWS team to try XP+cygwin/X (as X11 emulator.
We WERE thinking to use EXCEED or "starnet" product ( I do not recall the
name of their product).

EXCEED is very expensive, "starnet" is cheaper but is not capable to run CAD tools (CADENCE in particular). CADENCE require 8-bit pseudo color
.
I was told that EXCEED has the same problem. BUT my experience is different.
I've seen CADENCE running on WIN2000+EXCEED on "el_cheapo" video card. So, I
really do not know where is the truth.
BUT, on other hand, I've seen CADENCE running on WIN XP through "cygwin/X".
Again, I do not know what kind of VIDEO card was used.

So, my FIRST QUESTION for you is:

Can "cygwin/X" run CADENCE tools ? (reminder: it requires 8-bit pseudo color map)

Management asked another question.
So, my SECOND QUESTION is:
- beside price, what are the features of the "cygwin/X" ? (compared to exceed and starnet)

I could not find on "cygwin/X" site FEATURE LIST.

THIRD QUESTION (asked by management) the most important !!
- is there a list of companies who use "cygwin/X" in their production flow ?

FOURTH QUESTION:
- is there "some_kind" of official support for "cygwin/X" ? ( REDHAT comes in mind)

I would really appreciate your reply

Sincerely

Igor