Re: wmaker TIFF (actually libtiff4) problem

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 06:56:20PM +0000, reidel@comcast.net wrote:

Several people including myself have experienced the problem where
WindowMaker 0.80.2-1 does not properly display some TIFF images.  This
message describes a solution that seems to work for me.  It of course
does not seem like a good thing to do, so use at your own risk.  (I
haven't experienced any adverse effects so far).

I simply replaced /bin/cygtiff4.dll with /bin/cygtiff3.dll.

i.e. cp /bin/cygtiff3.dll /bin/cygtiff4.dll

If you do not have cygtiff3.dll, you just need to install the libtiff3
package.

Copying dlls with different versions is rarely a good idea.  It's a better
idea to figure out what is ostensibly wrong with cygtiff4.dll and fix
that.

cygtiff4 was built for cygwin1.dll 1.5.3 and above, AND links against cygjpeg-62.dll. cygtiff3 was built on/for cygwin-1.3.22 and earlier, and links against cygjpeg6b.dll.

cygtiff4 was generated from tiff-3.6.0beta2, while cygtiff3 was generated from tiff-3.6.0beta1.

cygjpeg6b was build on/for cygwin-1.3.22 and earlier, using hand-rolled Makefiles to handle the DLL constuction. cygjpeg-62.dll was built for cygwin-1.5.3 and above, AND was built using newly-added libtool support. Further, the cygjpeg-62 dll contains the 'lossless crop' patch(*) from Mandrake (but I think that only affects the 'jpegtran' application, and not the library); other than that, the sources used were the same for both versions of jpeg.

So there are a number of differences between cygtiff3 and cygtiff4. I tend to suspect the jpeg changes -- are "some TIFF images" which fail to load all jpeg-compressed, while the ones that succeed are not, perhaps?

--
Chuck

(*) the 'lossless crop' patch is different from the 'losses compression' patch that all versions of libjpeg for cygwin, including both of these, have had from the very beginning, although that has been a point of controversy...since the beginning.