Keyboard autorepeat settings [Was: Updated: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-22]

Jack Tanner wrote:

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

If this is the case I can add code to use the windows default autorepeat settings to configure Xwin. But this will again change the old behavior
of Xwin and some users might be unhappy with it.

It would be consistent with other behavior to get autorepeat settings from Windows, not from X settings. For example, we try to use the Windows language settings, right?

Sort of... it isn't quite that cut and dried.

Besides, we have been using *both* X autorepeat and Windows autorepeat until recently. This was not a good solution.

Since Xwin is a Windows application, there's little reason for it to have its own autorepeat configuration.

It might be nice, but the Windows autorepeat caused problems with systems running in Japanese... so they need the XKB autorepeat functionality, since the Windows autorepeat needs to be disabled for them.

So, we can't just remove XKB support or disable it permanently... it is required by some non-U.S. users.

It may seems like we are being indecisive here... but there are really a lot of concerns that need to be considered in order to get a correct solution.