Re: TTF-font rendering not working anymore

Harold, you wanted a three-click test case:
$ xfontsel
wait for it to finish parsing all the fonts. Note that it displays the
alphabet in some default font at the bottom of the window.
Click on family and choose a TTF from the list, eg. one of the Luxis.
Note that the alphabet is no longer displayed.
Just one click, three is not needed.

There are programmes ttfmkfdir, mkfontscale, mkfontdir, which need to be
run when adding new fonts or directories, but the files they create are
already present and rerunning them doesn't change things. Anyway, the
fonts show up in the xfontsel list, so I think the problem is with the
rendering, not anything else.

This is not a problem with the "new style" fonts stuff, fontconfig, etc,
as used by xterm, etc, which work very well for me with the recent
versions, much prettier than the older ones, and even somewhat better than
the version of the freetype2 library that I compiled a while ago for
myself. (So well done everyone for getting all that working!) However, I
expect it is related to the seperating out of the freetype stuff from the
X server. I believe the "old style" (server side) fonts rendering stuff
uses hacked up parts of freetype1 and freetype2 for dealing with TTF so
presumably in the seperation process something got broken.

Hope that's useful.

Lev