Re: startx problem on Win-XP

Charles E. Cooper wrote:

OK, my excitement has dwindled.
I tried used "textedit" remotely and the cursor is non-functional in the remoted display.
I can't edit or scroll without the cursor.

to summarize what I'm doing:
        xhost + machinename
        ssh -X -l username machinename

when logged into machinename
        setenv DISPLAY localmachinename:0.0
        textedit filename &

You need to read the instructions I sent you:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-ssh

Do not assume that you should add steps of your own. The instructions list exactly which steps must be taken; anything left out is left out for a very good reason (i.e. it is not needed).

The "xhost" step is not needed when using "ssh -X".

The "setenv" step is not needed when using "ssh -X".

Note that neither of these steps is in the instructions at the page above.